This year there are four retreats (listed below) - two are for wind quintets and the other two are for various larger ensembles (although wind quintets are also very welcome!). The retreats are open to individual players and preformed ensembles alike. If applying as an individual player, we will endeavour to place you in an appropriate standard group.
At present it looks like the 30th July - 1st August Various Ensembles Retreat will have an octet, dectet and a quintet and the 5th - 7th August Various Ensembles Retreat will have a quintet and two dectets.
We have a fantastic team of tutors for each retreat and always have a tutor for each instrument (flute, oboe, clarinet, horn and bassoon). Our tutors are all professional players and also have a wealth of tutoring/teaching experience and lots of advice and helpful tips to share with you. Please see the Tutors page for a list of tutors for each retreat. Tutor biogs can also be found on the relevant page for your instrument (e.g. Flute Tutors etc.).
Unlike many other events of this type, the tutor : attendee ratio is excellent at 1 : 5 (at maximum capacity), compared with 1 : 12 (or more) at many other events. This therefore means that places are limited, so early booking is advisable, especially for flautists!
This year's courses are being held at the very beautiful Parcevall Hall in the Yorkshire Dales, which is set in the most stunning gardens and surrounding area.....Oh, and the food is delicious too.
* 7 Tutored Sessions (including one instrument-specific session with the relevant tutor and the opportunity to decide what format this session should take (Q&A, ensemble playing etc))
* 2 Untutored Sessions
* A chance to see our tutors rehearsing together in an open rehearsal, plus Q&As at the end
* Individual lessons with our tutors are available. These will be at the additional cost of £30 for 45 minutes, or £40 for an hour. (Please note that we are restricted to two/three lessons per tutor, due to time available, so lessons will be offered on a first come, first served basis)
* Huge choice of repertoire - if we don't already own a piece you've chosen we will buy it in!
* Wind Quintets and smaller ensembles get to choose the repertoire they will work on. We ask each group member for suggestions and we're also more than happy to help with suggestions too if required. We then circulate the suggestions list together with a YouTube playlist of all the pieces to each group member. Everyone then votes individually and the most popular pieces (usually 3/4) are chosen.
* Individual parts are emailed to you as pdfs well in advance of the retreat for you to practise
* Free time to get together in adhoc groups, explore the gardens/surrounding area, practise etc.
* Amazing food - Breakfast, morning coffee (and cake!), lunch, afternoon tea (more cake!) and dinner
* Well stocked Honesty Bar
* Informal concert at the end of the retreat, including a performance by our tutors
* Beautiful accommodation
* Caring administrator - always available to answer any queries you may have before and during the course. Personal and tailored replies....no standard emails here!
We'd love for you to join us, so if you're interested in applying, please fill in our online Application Form (it's not too onerous, we promise!)
Retreats for 2020 at Parcevall Hall in the Yorkshire Dales
Wind Quintet Retreat - Tues 28th July (4pm) - Thurs 30th July (3.30pm) 2020
Various Ensembles Retreat - Thurs 30th July (4pm) - Sat 1st August (3.30pm) 2020
Various Ensembles Retreat - Wed 5th August (4pm) - Fri 7th August (3.30pm) 2020
Wind Quintet Retreat - Fri 7th August (4pm) - Sunday 9th August (3.30pm) 2020